Last week I published a blog about the 3 Things I Would Have Done Differently Before My First Bikini Competition.
I mentioned that if I had to do it all over again, I would have started tracking macronutrients much sooner.
I wholeheartedly believe in eating real food first, but making sure I was consuming the proper proportions of macronutrients helped me see the changes in my physique that I was looking for.
Some of you asked what a macronutrient is, and how and why you should try tracking it?
I created a video to give you the skinny on how tracking macros can help you change your physique…
And welcome to the first ever #askandrea! 😉
To recap, and some other things I wanted to highlight:
1. Most active individuals aren’t eating enough. We’re plagued by fear that eating will make us fat, when it’s just the opposite. Stay active and eat! Plus, real food doesn’t actually have a lot of calories. If you’re still hungry, eat.
2. Most aren’t eating enough of the right things
3. I believe in Just Eating Real Food, but I understand how confusing that can be. And, you can under and overeat even healthy foods.
Sweet potatoes and bananas are real food, but you can’t expect changes to your physique just eating sweet potatoes and bananas.
4. Micronutrients are more important, in my opinion, than macronutrients. Eat living foods to feel alive.
Eat for nourishment first.
Get healthy first.
Ideally, then you’ll try to fine-tune your physique.
I care more about the quality of your food than you hitting your macros.
5. That said, tracking your macros will tell you what you aren’t eating enough of and also how to accommodate indulgences. Because you’re a human being. Who will indulge and enjoy! And rightfully so!
I recently coached a woman who was a vegetarian and had gone paleo. While she ate eggs for breakfast, the rest of the day was just loads and loads of almonds, because they were ‘paleo’ and also vegetarian.
She was lifting heavy and wanted to lose weight. She was hungry constantly.
Unsurprisingly, she wasn’t eating enough protein or carbs.
She was “just eating real food,” but it wasn’t in the right proportions.
Counting macros helped her make the necessary tweaks to see improvement in her physique.
Conversely, I was a carbo-phobe and even trying to limit my intake of fruit.
No wonder I was starving and occasionally binge eating!
I wasn’t eating enough to support my activity level!
So, google, macronutient calculator. Enter in your personal details.
Find a tracker app on your phone and keep an eye on things. Don’t undereat.
If you need extra help, send me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I hope you found this content helpful.
If so, let me know what other questions you have in the comments below for a chance to have it answered on the next #askandrea.
Thank you for reading and tuning in!
Cheers in Health,